Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweet sweet South

What an amazing weekend... the sun decided to shine in Portland Saturday which lead to a beautiful hike at Eagle Creek with not one, but three bald eagle sightings. This was followed up by a trip to refuel at a new-ish Portland Tapalya, that serves up cajun tapas. While the idea of cajun tapas is brilliant, the restaurant left a bit to be desired, especially after finding a fantastic recipe for cheesy grits...(see recipe below).

One good thing about visiting a good restaurant with lots of potential is it inspires me to head into the kitchen to see what I can come up with. Here's what I've found tasty in the past week as well as some ideas I want to try out this week (if I can find the time!)

Seitan Verde

This dish turned out pretty good although I think in the future I would replace the seitan for shrimp, chicken or maybe potabellos. Salsa verde makes a fantasic marinade and goes great with peppers, zucchini and mushrooms.

One medium red pepper
10 or so mushrooms
1 half large yellow onion
garlic clove
1 large zucchini
Handful chopped spinach
4oz of seitan (or shrimp or meat of choice)
salsa verde (I cheated and used Trader Joes salsa verde but I think next time I'll try this recipe
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomatillo_salsa_verde/

Marinate your seitan(or whatever form of protein you pick) for at least 3 hors in 2 cups of salsa verde and one chopped garlic clove

Saute onion, peppers, mushrooms on medium high with a tablespoon or so of olive oil for around 10 minute

Add seitan and reduce heat to medium. Cook with lid on for 15-20 minutes until veggies are soft but not mushy

Serve with fresh cilantro and green onion with no-fry refried beans (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/Detail.aspx), mexican rice and a tortilla to sop up the yummy juices.

This recipe turned out pretty delicious and is quick enough for a week night meal.

I like to blame it on my Grandpa, he grew up in Lafayette, Louisiana, but I have a bit of a southern belle deep inside that craves the richness of Cajun grub and southern bbq. The following recipe for jalapeno cheesy grits go equally well the way we had this weekend with poached eggs and veggie hash or as a dinner side with collard greens and bbq shrimp or buttermilk oven fried chicken. If you though grits weren't for you, I think this recipe might change your mind....

Jalapeno Cheesy Grits

2 cups milk
2 cups water
11/2 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tbsp butter
4 oz shredded cheddar
1/2 jalapeno, chopped

Bring milk, water, salt to boil over medium heat

Add cornmeal, slowly, while whisking

Decrease heat to low, whisk every few minutes

cook 20-25 minutes, add cheese, chopped jalepeno and butter, and mix well

This week I plan on trying acorn squash risotto with Gorgonzola, avocado and grapefruit salad with red onion and citrus vinaigrette and a cashew curry.

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment